Emergency water trucking is typically a short-term, life-saving intervention that is used to cover interruptions in water service or access to sufficient quantities of water to meet survival requirements.
Oxfam Technical Briefing 13: Water Trucking
UNHCR Briefing Note on Water Trucking
- Water tankering is very costly and extremely difficult to monitor effectively, so it should only be a short-term measure until more sustainable water sources are in place.
- A full exit plan should be drawn up before beginning a tankering programme.
- Due to high costs, tankering budget lines should be itemised to calculate the real price rather than just estimating a lumpsum.
- If tankering water, always ensure there are tanks/bladders with tap stands for tankers to discharge the water: users should not collect straight from the back of the tanker.
- Where possible, water should be chlorinated at discharge tanks